Sealants are a simple and effective way to reduce the chances of developing cavities. They are applied to the occlusal grooves present on the molars and premolars to prevent microbial accumulation in them. Dental sealants are a foolproof means of preventing cavities. This treatment can especially be of help to children.
What are the Advantages of Sealants?
- Dental sealants are made from highly durable acrylic, which keeps them in shape and avoids wear due to chewing food.
- They can be customized to mimic the color of the enamel, making them indistinguishable from the tooth they are applied on.
- Sealants demonstrate excellent sealing properties, which keep the oral bacteria from entering the grooves and causing cavities.
- They are durable and therefore long-lasting.
- The procedure for placing sealants is effortless and can be completed in a single visit to the dentist’s practice.
- They do not affect your natural bite if properly applied.
How are Sealants Placed?
When you visit us at Bradley C. Jones, DDS Family Dentistry for the initial consultation, our team will conduct a thorough screening of the teeth. We will spot the onset of cavities and tartar deposits on them. The cavities will be treated, and the tartar deposits will be removed by ultrasonic scaling. The grooves on the surface of the molars and premolars will be prepared for the sealants by cleaning them thoroughly and etching their surface using a suitable etching liquid. This ensures the sealant adheres well to the tooth and doesn’t get displaced when you bite or chew food.
We will prepare the sealant by matching it with the color of the enamel. It will be applied to the grooves in multiple layers and hardened. Once the grooves are fully covered, we will have you take a bite test to ensure your natural bite isn’t negatively affected by the sealant. If required, we will trim it. Finally, the sealants will be polished to make them appear as natural as possible.
The dentist will suggest a few aftercare tips to ensure the sealants are maintained as good as new for many years without any hassle.
We invite you to schedule a consultation with our team of dental experts at Bradley C. Jones, DDS Family Dentistry at Napa, CA to get all your oral concerns addressed at the earliest. Please call us at (707) 224-6006 or reach out through online consultation and we’ll be happy to help.